The temperature in Mumbai is soaring and I’m finding it really difficult to eat anything hot. It’s tough to even think about making an entire meal in the hot kitchen. Cold salads, fruits, yogurt and juices are perfect to binge on during this crazy weather. So I decided to make a huge bowl of refreshing watermelon mint salad to beat this heat. It’s a simple and quick recipe, so do give it a try!
Watermelon mint salad
1 medium watermelon
A handful of mint leaves finely chopped
Juice of a lime
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
chaat masala to taste
kala namak (black salt) to taste
a small handful of roasted peanuts
1. Clean and chop the watermelon into cubes. Place in the refrigerator to cool till you make the spice mix
2. Lightly roast cumin and fennel seeds till they release their aromas
3. In a mortar and pestle grind the cumin seeds, fennel seeds, kala namak and chaat masala
4. Now squeeze juice of a lime on the cubed watermelon, add finely chopped mint, add the spice mix we made and mix well so that the watermelon is nicely coated with all the flavors. You can add a bit of honey/sugar if you feel that the watermelon is not sweet enough
5. Crush the roasted peanuts a little and add to the watermelon salad. Toss it around a little to make sure the salad is well mixed
6. Serve cold!